Betcha didn’t know you had one of the best anti-aging ingredients for breakfast this morning, now, did you? Eggs; they’re not just for omelettes anymore! The yolk of an egg is naturally rich in proteins, minerals, and B Vitamins that are incredibly effective in nourishing your hair.
This easy DIY egg yolk hair mask penetrates deep into the hair shaft and moisturizes from the inside out. Not only does the protein in egg yolk help repair damage to existing hair, it can actually help prevent future loss and damage by stimulating the scalp and nourishing and strengthening the hair shaft from the roots.
The egg yolk is also packed with Biotin; a vitamin that is absolutely essential in growing and maintaining healthy hair. Many people actually take biotin supplements to try and encourage hair and nail growth.
Added bonus to this egg yolk mask? Style, baby! The protein in egg yolks actually smooth away any rough, split ends on the hair shaft, giving your hair a sleek, silky shine.
1 egg yolk
1 T coconut oil
1. Make sure the coconut oil is melted, but NOT hot! Hot oil will cook the egg and you’ll end up smelling like fried rice (we found out the hard way on that one).
2. Whisk the egg yolk and oil together until thoroughly combined.
3. Starting at the ends and working your way up, completely cover your hair in the mixture.
4. Secure hair with a clip and leave in for 20 minutes.
5. Rinse out with COOL water- again, hot water will cook that egg! Apply a little conditioner to the ends and let dry.
LEVEL UP BOTANERI TIP
When you separate the yolk from the egg white making this super easy egg yolk hair mask, kill 2 beauty-birds with one stone by whipping up this amazing anti-aging egg white face mask up at the same time! Double time!
About the author
I’m Drew, creator of Botaneri and an artisanal skincare formulator and certified aromatherapist who is here to help take the mystery out of DIY natural beauty. I started creating my own plant-based skin and body care products at home to deal with my own skin issues.
What I love most is helping people create luxurious and effective self-care products right in their own kitchens. It’s a lot easier than you think. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you.