Italian Silver Screen Goddess Sofia Loren once said that the secret to her ageless beauty wasn’t some expensive treatment or product, but rather, olive oil! And not just on her salad, but on her skin. And we’re prepared to take her advice because…well, look at her.
If you’ve read a few of our articles on cleansing with oil, you already know that using oil instead of soap can actually help skin restore its natural moisture balance. Washing with traditional soaps can actually over-dry the skin, stripping it of its natural sebum. This causes your skin’s sebaceous glands to kick into overdrive, causing you to produce too much oil to over compensate for the dryness.
The benefits of cleansing with extra virgin olive oil are numerous. Besides balancing your skin’s natural oil production, EVOO is high in Vitamin E and antioxidants which help to repair damage, smooth wrinkles, and increase collagen production.
We know it might feel weird at first, but give olive oil cleansing a shot! Your skin will thank you.
- 4 T Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (approx. 2 oz)
- 2 tsp raw honey (can substitute vegetable glycerin)
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil
- Combine in a small bottle, dark glass preferred (this helps it keep its potency longer). Shake before use to combine ingredients; separation is natural!
- Using your fingers, rub a nickel-to-quarter size amount of oil wash onto your face in circular motions, just like you would a normal cleanser.
- Dampen a washcloth with warm water and wipe the oil from your face.
- Apply more oil and repeat process until no more makeup or dirt remains.
- Gently Pat dry and enjoy your baby soft skin.
Botaneri Level up Tip:
Use a microfiber towel instead of a traditional washcloth to trap even more oil and grime, and to add another level of “polishing” to the oil cleansing routine.
Frustrated by Expensive, store-bought products that don’t work? Curious about DIY beauty but don’t know where to start?
Let us help take the mystery out of customized, natural skincare you can make right at home. We created a free guide to share the basics of DIY beauty you can create in your kitchen.
About the author
I’m Drew, creator of Botaneri and an artisanal skincare formulator and certified aromatherapist who is here to help take the mystery out of DIY natural beauty. I started creating my own plant-based skin and body care products at home to deal with my own skin issues.
What I love most is helping people create luxurious and effective self-care products right in their own kitchens. It’s a lot easier than you think. Trust me, if I can do it, so can you.